A Compulsory Phase of An Average Nigerian Graduate




"It's not worth it! It's not worth it at all! It's just a waste - a waste of time - a waste of resources - a waste of energy..." These words continually are sung sing-songs in my mind as I walked down the streets - back home. I felt an immediate urge to slap these thoughts off my mind when I realised I was holding a copy of my resume.

I had earlier gone to a new Media House owned by one of the numerous bloggers in the country. I had remained enthusiastic journeying to the place - positive; and even after the journey. "How may I help you?" the security man who opened the gate asked me - expressionless - unempathetic - I don't blame him though; he doesn't even know me! "...the HR.." I found myself saying in a bizarre voice, not even knowing who he/she was. I have been surprising myself lately; precisely since after my NYSC - doing unimaginables. That's what life teaches you after service in my 'beloved country!

A day before, I had goggled the location as I did not find a precise address. I could not still get myself to give up on going. " Let me try my luck, the owner of that place looks nice to me - or maybe from the pictures I see on the media. I took off the next day, to an unknown place - praying - hoping for the best. "Where you dey go?" An 'aboki' bike rider asked me when I alighted from the bus at the last bus stop. I guess I looked lost and confused to him. I did not want to look like a 'JJC' so I claimed I knew where I was going to. I gave him the unprecised address i had and hopped onto his bike, my heart slowly beating fast. We seemed not to have gotten to our destination after about a-30-minute ride. I became a bit scared. " ...I hope I don't become 'suya today' I thought. I took out my rosary from my bag and held the first bead "...we never still reach oga?" I found myself asking the bike man in a weird voice. "...na this gate wey dey here" He responded. I became calm. Though the place looked more like a residence than a Media house. I made a sign of the cross, looked at my face on my phone screen to ensure my nude make up was still intact. "...I don't have to look what I've been through" I said to myself...

 "...what is his name?...." brought me out of the ocean of my thoughts in which I was beginning to drown. "uhhhhmmmm... Mr... uhhmmmm.." I stammered, trying to remember the name I saw on Google. "...please wait outside the gate hanty" he said in a yoruba accent. I won't deny being pained; humiliated; I swallowed hard. After about 20minutes of standing outside, another security man called me in "...sorry we kept you waiting outside. Please take the door by your left..." He said motioning towards a glass door, going back to his post. "Sorry?" "...such an abused word!" I said more to myself than to a hearer. I felt a bit lit up, at least I have a made a progress by persevering.. "...we will look at your resume and get back to you" were the conclusive words of the assumed HR. I went back home, continually pondering all the way back.

I waited a week - 2weeks - 3weeks - 1month - gave up on the wait, then on an unexpected day, amidst a good time, I got a call - "Hi miss, we are calling in respect to your application at our Media..." I felt lit - excited - hopeful again. "...so how many years of experience do you have?" The lady over the phone asked. "I just finished my NYSC last month ma!" "...but I have a written a few pieces of literature" I quickly replied. "I'm sorry, but we need someone with at least three years of experience. We will call you if we need you though" she said all at once, ending the call. My face unlit, "...this word sorry is just abused" I thought aloud. Tears flooded my eyes and poured freely down my cheeks. " What do they want from fresh graduates?" "How can we possibly gather the experience without being given the opportunity to work?" It's just not worth it! It's just a waste - a waste of time - a waste of resources - a waste of energy! Degree certificate - a waste...

Stories/ experiences like these have become a norm for an average Nigerian graduate - a compulsory phase - a "normal thing"(maybe only in my beloved country). Everyday, 'the government' goes on the media to say: "we have provided jobs for more than 1000 graduates..." permit me to ask... "where exactly are the jobs sir/ma?" "What is the fate of the children that are being born and enrolled into schools when a thousand and one graduates are roaming and a few among them becoming self employed - entrepreneurs. What is the point of going to study certain courses in the university, when you will graduate and still end up learning a skill or trade. I am not saying the formal tertiary education is bad, I am only saying it might be better to discard some of our regular departments and disciplines in the universities and introduce more entrepreneurship courses and disciplines to enable the up and coming generation to be better employed - self employed and less unemployed. Imagine investing more than 4years learning Programming, or Blogging, or even Event Planning, from professors in those fields. We already have more than enough Mass Communication, Micro Biology etc, graduates in the job market...


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.